3. He shares the Nobel Prize in physics with his father. To date he is the youngest Nobel Laureate (25 years). He was the director of Cavendish Lab in Cambridge when the epochal discovery of structure of DNA was made. Who is he (Full Name)?
Ans: William Laurence Bragg
4. The chemical that is added to otherwise odourless LPG cooking gas for importing a detectable smell to the gas is?
Ans: Ethyl Mercaptan
5. It is used as a raw material for aerogel. It is also used in the extraction of DNA and RNA due to its ability to bind to the nucleic acids under the presence of chaotropes. It has a number of distinct crystalline forms in addition to amorphous forms. Which material are we talking about?
6. In 1860’s he carried out the first metallographic studies on Iron and steel. Name him.
Ans: Henry Clifton Sorby
7. This process was developed in 1901 to separate metallic sulphide minerals from otherwise unusable minerals: Name the process and the inventor
Ans: Charles Vincent Potter developed Froth Flotation Process
8. The beginning of the "plastic age" and the modern plastics industry is marked by the discovery of this hard thermosetting plastic in 1909: Name the product and the discoverer.
Ans: Baekeland invented Bakelite
9. This invention enabled three-dimensional atomic-scale imaging and characterisation of metal surfaces and observe surface defects and nanoscale materials: Name the invention and the inventors
Ans: Binnig and Rohrer invented Atomic force microscopy
10. Name the strengthening process which will improve both strength and toughness of the material?
Ans: Grain Refinement
11. I am the son of Earth and Heaven. Hollywood actor Robert De Niro was reading the book on me in one of his famous film. A very famous alloy of mine is extensively used in aerospace, medical and turbines. Who I am?
12. He mathematically proved that " there are only 7 distinct space - filling volume elements", which we now call as the "7 Crystal Systems". He is considered as the "Father of Modern Crystallography " Identify the person?
Ans: Rene Just Hauy
13. The point defect that doesn’t change the density of the solid is?
Ans: Frenkel Defect
14. The discolouring of Brass is due to the presence of which gas in air?
Ans: Hydrogen sulphide
15. Which class of defects are said to be thermodynamically stable?
Ans: Point Defect
16. In 1913, while working with Rutherford and at the age of 25, he discovered that the wavelength of the x-rays emitted by different elements is related to the atomic numbers. He was a true patriot and voluntarily joined the British Army during World War 1. It is considered that he could have been awarded the Nobel prize in 1916, had he not been killed at the age of 27 in the Battle of Gallipoli in Turkey. Name him.
Ans: Henry Moseley of Moseley’s Law
17. “Nataraja” idols were made by some casting route which is used today to make Turbine blades for jet engines. Name this casting route.
Ans: Investment Casting
18. Concept of dislocations were proposed as early as 1900's but their experimental observation in TEM was found only in 1956 by this person. Name him.
Ans: Peter Hirsch
19. In 1957, he found that γ-rays emitted by iridium-191 could be absorbed by a target of the same isotope without any loss of energy. This observation led to a technique which is ideal for very fine-resolution work, such as determining the shift of spectral lines in Earth's gravitational field and to analyse the composition of rocks on Mars.
What is the technique and name the inventor.
Ans: Mössbauer spectroscopy and Rudolf L. Mössbauer
20. When a ferromagnetic material such as Fe is magnetised, while the magnetisation current is increased continuously, the magnetisation does not increase continuously, but as a series of small jumps. What is the name of this phenomenon?
Ans: Barkhausen effect
21. Addition of this small amounts of this element to Ni-Cr alloys led Paul Merica to develop a new class of alloys. Name the element and the class of alloys.
Ans: Aluminium and Super Alloys
22. This metallurgical wonder in India is estimated to have been built around 400 AD. Name the wonder and its speciality.
Ans: The Delhi Iron Pillar and its anti-rusting ability
23. In a niobium micro alloyed steel joined by fusion welding the most likely cause of loss of strength in the HAZ is:
Ans: Coarsening of Grains
24. Thermodynamic equilibrium of a multicomponent heterogeneous system implies that the following intensive properties are uniform throughout the system:
Ans: Chemical potential, Temperature and Pressure
25. Thermo-electric cooling is based on this effect:
Ans: Peltier Effect
26.We all know that dislocations are characterized by a translational vector 'b' (Burger's vector). But there is a line defect that is characterized by a rotation vector. Name the line defect?
27. When atoms comes together, they initially form two-dimensional clusters. For these clusters to be stable, it should have a certain number of atoms. What is this number called?
Ans: Magic Number
28. Name the person who coined the term " NanoTechnology" ( in 1974) to describe semiconductor processes such as thin film deposition and ion beam milling exhibiting characteristic control on the order of a nanometer.
Ans: Norio Taniguchi.
29.This effect was discovered by Albert Fert & Peter Grunberg , for which they won a nobel prize in physics.The phenomena results in a significant change in the electrical resistance depending on whether the magnetization of adjacent ferromagnetic layers are in a parallel or an antiparallel alignment. The overall resistance is relatively low for parallel alignment and relatively high for antiparallel alignment. This effect is used by Hard Disk Drive Manufacturers. Name the Phenomenon?
Ans: Giant Magneto Resistance Effect
30. Which functionally important polymorph of Titania(TiO2) is widely used for photocatalytic applications?